Exploratory Studies is the designated advising track for students who have not yet declared a major, are deciding between majors, or have not yet met the requirements for a major.
Exploratory Studies best serves students at the freshman or sophomore level with fewer than 60 college credits completed. If you have more than 45 credits in transfer or test out credit (AP, IB, CLEP, etc.), you are strongly encouraged to connect with Morgan Parsley, Prospective Student Support Coach, before you choose to enroll.
Exploratory Studies students account for approximately one-third of each entering class and are well supported for long-term success at CSU.
- Academic Advising: Receive support from professional advisors in our undergraduate advising office.
- Full Admission: Access financial aid and scholarships as a fully admitted, degree-seeking student.
- Access to Classes: Enroll in introductory-level courses in different areas of interest to explore programs while earning credits toward graduation requirements.
- The hope of the Exploratory Studies program is that students declare their on-campus or online major after 1-2 semesters of being in the program.
- Exploratory Studies is not a program that students can graduate from.
- Students can start with the online Exploratory Studies program and declare an on-campus major afterwards. They will need to physically be able to take coursework in Fort Collins, CO to do so and they will be subject to on-campus policies, tuition, and fees when they transition to the on-campus major.
Become an Exploratory Studies student by selecting "Exploratory Studies" within the application for admission or contact your admissions counselor to request this designation after you’ve been admitted and before you enroll.